How do I manage blackleg in canola?
As blackleg remains a disease of concern for canola growers in Western Canada and an important industry and trade topic for Canada, it’s critical to manage blackleg with multiple integrated pest management (IPM) tools to prevent challenges.
- Utilize newest ‘R’-rated hybrids, a product of extensive disease breeding
- Scout fields, properly identify and monitor infection
- Where possible, extend canola rotations to a minimum of once every three years to reduce inoculum and canola volunteers
- Manage susceptible weeds and volunteer canola to reduce inoculum sources
- Use a registered fungicide at the proper timing
- Utilize Vercoras® seed treatment to protect cotyledons through the critical infection period and reduce the potential for stem infection